Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Mobile App Day



Another day of riding my bike off-hours.  Although I did take Calvert home from the Inner Harbor, it was a smooth ride.  Of course, I had to ride most of the way on the sidewalk because riding in left or right lane means you come within inches of death-by-side-swipe.


Being a subscriber to the Smartphone Community, I come across interesting/useful apps on a weekly basis. The one to catch my attention, since starting this blog, is called CitySourced:
"CitySourced is a real time mobile civic engagement platform. CitySourced provides a free, simple, and intuitive platform empowering residents to identify civic issues (public safety, quality of life, & environmental issues, etc.) and report them to city hall for quick resolution; an opportunity for government to use technology to save time and money plus improve accountability to those they govern; and a positive, collaborative platform for real action. A picture tells a thousand works and CitySourced makes it snap." (www.citysourced.com)


Now, this app is definitely not perfect from an "app" perspective.  Some people are reporting that it does not detect their city properly while others see the app crashing.  I believe it's a matter of time until they work out the bugs.


What's great about this app is that it is both free and available for the holy trinity of smartphones: Android, iPhone and Blackberry!


I have yet to really get to messing around with it.  I think the first thing I'll report is the metal plate over the sink hole on the Jones Falls Trail.  In the meanwhile, I suggest that all smartphone owners out there get this app and make good use of it.  


Sorry all (seven) Palm Pre owners.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean!